The flawless unibody look of your automobile is made possible by some hardware and accessories. Among these is the bumper clip that keeps your bumper attached to the frame of your ride. This also holds the air duct cooler in place. Looking and working like a push pin or hanger at times, the bumper clip has to be replaced once the bumper or duct cooler is serviced. If you are thinking of replacing or maintaining these parts, or you just want to replace your clip as it is already broken or worn, you can find loads of choices in the market. Just make sure that you consider these factors in the search:
Materials and technology
- Polypropylene (PP) is a plastic polymer with a very high melting point compared to other forms of plastics: 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius. It also mixes with dye easily, so it can come in different colors that won't fade fast. If looking for a bumper clip, this is a good choice of material.
- Nylon is a synthetic polymer that features compact molecular structure. It has a high melting point of 492 degrees Fahrenheit or 256 degrees Celsius, and this is the reason behind its better weathering properties, sunlight and abrasion resistance, and superior colorfastness. Needless to say, it is much better than polypropylene.
- Rubber is an elastic polymer that offers superb elasticity and water resistance. It is susceptible to vulcanization, though, which will make it a poor material for a bumper clip.
Design and style
- The pushpin type is the more commonly used type of bumper clip these days. One of the reasons is that it secures the bumper to the frame of the car and not to the mounting hardware only, as a u-clip does. It can also be used to attach other parts like the air duct cooler, so it's more functional and is a better choice than the u-type clip.
- The U-shape type is made from the same materials as the pushpin type. It is found near the wheel wells of your vehicle where the bumper cover joins the fender, mounted to the frame like a hanger. Although this is a reliable type of clip, it can easily be pulled down by the weight of the bumper. But if this is the kind of clip you have, you need to get its direct-fit replacement in the market.
Another important factor in choosing the right bumper clip is its fit. If you wish to avoid problems during the installation, get a clip that is made exactly for your vehicle make and model. This will also ensure easier installation.