In the past, a vehicle's cigarette lighter was only used to light up cigars or cigarettes. Over the years, people were made aware of the health risks posed by smoking and became more health conscious. Modern vehicles still include cigarette lighters to power electronic devices, ranging from air compressors, laptops, mobile phones and music players. It became an indispensible accessory for the modern driver.
To help you change a cigarette lighter, we have prepared tips, tools and steps to guide you with this project.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Tools that You'll Need:
- Mobile phone or any portable electronic device
- Mobile phone charger or adapter plug
- Brand new cigarette lighter
Safety Tips and Reminders:
- Consult your vehicle's owner's manual its model and make before purchasing a replacement part. It's important to know the exact type and part that you're replacing.
- Check your replacement parts and make sure that they are compatible to your vehicle's make and model.
- Exercise caution when handling the vehicle's cigarette lighter because it can cause serious burns if mishandled.
- Insert the key into the ignition to turn on your vehicle's interior power. It should be able to turn on the radio and cabin lights.
- Place the mobile phone charger or adapter plug into the cigarette lighter receptacle. Check if your mobile phone or device is charging properly.
- If the mobile phone or device is not charging, locate the fuse box and check if a fuse was blown. Please refer to your vehicle's manual on how to replace a busted fuse. If the fuse is okay, proceed to the next step.
- Insert the new cigarette lighter plug into the receptacle. Press the plug down and wait for it to pop out.
- Remove the plug and if you see a red-hot tip, the cigarette lighter is already working.
Installing a cigarette lighter will take about 20 minutes for an expert DIYer and around 30 minutes for a beginner. Have fun and stay safe!