In almost all types of applications, a washer is used to support a threaded fastener like a screw or a bolt. It also helps to distribute the fastener's load. You can find a good example of this in the cylinder head of your car where cylinder head bolt washer is located. This article will tell you the some tips when finding a good washer replacement.
- Determine the diameter of the cylinder bolt in your engine before you look for a washer. When you're already done with that, compare it with the measurement of the washer you want. There are aftermarket manufacturers that specify the measurements and other information like car type and year so you would know if it's applicable. Just make sure that the washer will fit around the shaft up to head of the bolt.
- Choose flat round washers for your cylinder head bolt. This is the most common type used. You should also choose a washer made from stainless steel material. It can withstand the amount of load and the increase in temperature as well.
- Buy a washer set if you will replace only the washers of your cylinder head bolts. However, if you want to replace the head bolts and the washers, then look for a cylinder head bolt set because the washers are already included.
- Make sure to buy the right quantity of washers. You will need to use two or more washers if you want to adjust the height of the cylinder head bolt.
- DO NOT purchase low-quality, replacement cylinder head bolt washers. It will only limit the capacity of the bolts, and may affect the performance of the bolts and the gasket.
- DO NOT use washers of different sizes if you ran out of stock. Go find a new set of washers with the same size.