The differential cover is component that covers and protects a crucial vehicle component called the differential. Basically, the differential is responsible for taking the power from the driveshaft before passing it to the rear axle. This allows the wheels to turn and the tires to not skid when you're driving. Because of this function, it's very important that a rusty and leaking differential cover has to be replaced immediately. There are many differential covers that are offered in the market today, but before buying, here are things that you need to consider.
Stock differential cover vs. Performance differential cover
The stock differential cover is the one that is already supplied by the vehicle manufacturer. The thing about stock differential covers is that they're made from pressed steel and as a result, they're not really suited to absorb damage. Not only that, they're designed to meet the minimum vehicle specifications of your vehicle so they can't handle high fluid pressure when you begin to tow heavy cargo.
On the other hand, performance differential covers are usually made from thick aluminum and because of that, they have a very high fluid capacity. This becomes really crucial when you begin to haul or tow stuff using your vehicle. Aside from that, increased fluid-carrying capabilities often lead to better engine performance.
Choose a differential cover with some or all of the following features:
- A magnetic drain plug and magnetic-tipped plug because these offer better rear-end protection while trapping worn gear material as well. The magnet basically sucks in any contaminants that may affect fluid integrity inside the differential.
- Internal and external fins for maximum fluid cooling.
- An integrated heat sink for superb heat reduction.
- A special powder coating for preventing corrosion and damage.
- Easy fill points so you won't have a hard time fixing it.
- It should be made with aluminum or stainless steel for maximum durability.
- A warranty so you can enjoy free servicing if any problems will arise after purchasing it.
- All the mounting hardware so you won't have a hard time installing it.
- Various designs to improve the looks of the rear portion of your vehicle. There are many differential covers out there that can change the look and style of your vehicle in an instant.
Some of the brands that you can consider if you're looking for replacement differential covers include AFE, ATS, Mag-Hytec, Outlaw, PML, PPE, and Strictly Diesel.