Not sure if you're going to get headers for your car? Well, we'd like to give you a heads up on headers to help you come up with a decision.
Why you should get new headers
- Get to improve fuel economy. Your engine ceases to run efficiently if its components, such as the exhaust, are busted. With the exhaust manifold damaged, it can clog up the cylinders and kill your miles per gallon.
Tip: Purchase headers with steel construction. This will make your motor running more efficiently. This kind of header will also take off a few pounds from your car's weight.
- Run on amplified exhaust tone. If you're tired of your old exhaust tone, you can definitely alter it just by upgrading your headers. Break the silence on the street and install new performance headers on your exhaust system.
Tip: For sports use, you can get sports headers, which give off a sound perfect for the racetrack. If it's for city use, then you might want to purchase quieter headers to avoid being a nuisance on the road. But, you can always choose to stand out. So, feel free to choose the sound your headers give.
- Reduce the weight of the vehicle. Heavy cars force the engines to work more quickly. However, not only does it slow you down, but it also wastes fuel.
Tip: For lighter weight, purchase headers made of steel.
- Get more horsepower and torque. The spent gases that occur during combustion are pushed out of the cylinder and to the exhaust manifold, which when clogged up can cause your engine to waste energy.
Tip: Horsepower depends on the engine. Usually, you add 5 to 20 percent horsepower with headers. If you buy tubing a size too big or get the incorrect length, your engine can end up losing horsepower.
Dare to stand out
Aside from the aforementioned reasons why you should buy new headers, it also improves the overall look of your vehicle.
- Ceramic: If you want to get a NASCAR look, get one in this finish. This is the usual choice of experts.
- Nickel chrome/stainless steel: If your objective is just to capture attention on the road, then headers made from these materials will give your motor a dramatic look.
- Matching finish: If you want to match your headers and engine compartment, purchase new ones that will complement the color.
These are just tips to help you out with your decision on buying new headers. The choice is always in your hands. Good luck!