One day, when you turn your car heater on, you are surprised to feel the chill coming out of the air condition vent. Then, when you switch to cold on the knob, your interior suddenly becomes hotter. That is exactly the sign of a problematic A/C and heater control. This control can be a knob or a lever that lets you change the temperature inside your car depending on the outside temperature. Even though its function is simple, its failure or changed setting will definitely annoy you--or even give you colds when you cannot switch to hot when it is freezing outside. If you have a broken or problematic control for your heating and cooling system, then opt for a quality replacement like one from AC Delco. However, let us first see if it will help you get cozy inside your car.
- Made from quality plastic
- Knob type
- One-piece design
- Original equipment replacement
- With a 12-month or 12,000-mile AC Delco warranty
We tested this component on a GMC Sierra and an Oldsmobile Achieva, and here is what we have to say:
- The component was easy to install. We had no hassle switching it with the old one that came with the Sierra and the Achieva.
- The unit looked visually okay. Prior to the installation, the knobs could be moved without jamming or locking. The prints on the body were clear, and the knobs could be easily turned to each setting without difficulty.
- Prior to the installation, the Sierra and the Achieva were having some erratic temperature settings, which were not resolved even after we checked the temperature sensor and the control motor's coils. The problems were gone when the new control was installed. We were able to see that the temperature inside each of the cars was changing depending on the setting we chose on the control.
- The product has a good price. It is also one of the few ones that come with a certain warranty.
- It would have been better if the product came with new bolts and clips that would have made the installation more secure.
- The product did not come with installation instructions that would have benefited those who had no inkling about replacing such part. It would have been really helpful since this control needed to be pried out of the dashboard and connected to the car's power source.
We consider this A/C and heater control as an affordable and good replacement for any defective unit. It also comes with a warranty, which some manufacturers would not otherwise give for such a simple component.