Even a little pin can cause some trouble in your vehicle if you don't give it the attention it deserves. If the dowel pin is broken or loose, you have to fix it right away, so you can get back on the road safely. Otherwise, the busted or loose dowel pin may find its way into the timing gears. When it slips or falls into this forbidden territory, this can cause extensive damage to the gears. With a repair kit, the busted pin no longer has to cause you any trouble. Let's see if the BD Diesel dowel pin repair kit (1040182) can serve you well. Here's our detailed product review:
- Offered as a direct fit
- For the 12-valve engine
- Sold as a kit for dowel pin replacement
- Made of steel (dowel pin)
- Includes a dowel pin, a retainer, seals, and an RTV sealant
- Backed by a 1-year limited warranty from the manufacturer
- The kit comes complete with everything we needed to replace the old pin. Aside from the dowel pin, we had the seals, retainer, and RTV sealant to complete the job. All these pieces worked well.
- The dowel pin, along with the seals and retainer, fits perfectly. It suits the requirements and specs of our vehicle's 12-valve engine. Because it's a direct fit, we're able to install the new dowel pin with less trouble. We can't say that installation is a breeze, but with a direct-fit dowel pin, we're confident about the repair since everything lined up perfectly well.
- The sealant works, and we're glad that it did. In some repair kits, you're well advised to just grab a seal from a trusted auto parts store. Some of them don't come with the silicone or have a sealant that's substandard.
- The killer dowel pin repair kit is safe and reliable. Our old pin was already loose and on its way out of the hole. Before it falls off, we replaced it using this kit. It saved us from costly repairs. Some weeks after we installed the pin, we checked the pin to see if it's still tight and secure or about to come out and fall into the gear train. We're happy to find out that it's locked properly in place.
- With its perfect fit and decent quality, we're counting on it as a permanent fix. We don't expect the pin and the other pieces in the kit to break anytime soon.
- Some may find this kit a bit overpriced. Cheaper options are available from other brands.
While the higher price may be an issue, this killer dowel pin repair kit can guarantee decent quality. It fits perfectly, and it works. The kit includes everything that's needed to complete the job. At the end of the day, we'd want to use a dowel pin that's made to last, something we can rely on.