When you're driving a truck or any huge, heavy vehicle, you can't just rely on foot brakes to give the vehicle the stopping power it needs, especially when going downhill. An exhaust brake will give you better control on acceleration and can give your typical brakes that much-needed break to keep them from overheating and wearing out fast. An exhaust brake not only increases driving safety but also reduces excessive wear and fade on wheel brakes. This brake is like a butterfly valve. As the valve shuts off the exhaust manifold, significant amounts of backpressure build up in the cylinders. In turn, this slows down the pistons and the engine as well. The job of the exhaust brake is crucial when towing or hauling a trailer and driving the vehicle on a steep descent. That's why we would like to find out the best. We tested a BD Diesel exhaust brake. Here's a summary of our experience so far:
- Can provide as much as 150 retarding hp across all RPM ranges
- Uses a BD Alumibronze bushing and piston ring (sealed)
- Has a stainless steel butterfly shaft
- Direct fit
- Sold individually
- Backed by a 1-year limited manufacturer warranty
- The exhaust brake made towing safer. It provides backup in case increased braking power is needed. We've driven our truck on mountain roads and have travelled for miles hauling a trailer. This sort of brake reinforcement really works.
- We achieved better control during acceleration and in many other driving situations by using this exhaust brake. We are more confident in our driving with this thing on.
- The exhaust brake engages quickly. It doesn't take long before thing works and that's one of the things we like about this BD Diesel product.
- The exhaust brake can provide peak retarding power in a wide RPM range. This makes it a better option than others, which can do this only on higher RPMs.
- It's built for sure performance and reliability. It comes in a rugged housing and uses a specially crafted BD Alumibronze bushing. The stainless steel butterfly shaft is designed to withstand high temperatures and exposure to severe exhaust environment. It's corrosion resistant. We appreciate all the intricate details in this product that make it sturdy and dependable.
- It lessens brake fade and minimizes wear on wheel brakes. This saves us from overheating brakes and costly repairs.
- Because of its well-thought-of features and design, it's fairly easy to mount/install. It's simple to use.
- It doesn't come cheap.
What we think
This exhaust brake from BD Diesel didn't let us down. It's safe and reliable. We're satisfied with its performance and quality, although it's quite expensive.