Off-road driving and towing becomes safer if you have a way to decide when your rig's torque converter should lock, unlock, stay locked or unlocked, or go back to OEM setting. If you're among those diesel vehicle owners who are looking for an exhaust brake control to not just improve towing safely but to also have more driving confidence, allow us to be of help to you. For several months now, our rig has been fitted with a BD Diesel exhaust brake control--the brand's Torqloc exhaust brake lock-up control--and here's how it fared:
- Keeps transmission oil temperature low
- Gives driver control over when the converter locks or unlocks
- Comes with an overdrive "inverter" option
- Position 1 - engages lock-up clutch
- Position 2 - converter goes back to stock functions
- Position 3 - activates lock-up only when the exhaust brake is in use
- We only do off-road driving on weekends and holidays and towing when there's a need to, so we love it that this feature has a setting which allows us to keep the transmission temperature low when we're driving on highways or when carrying light loads. Even position 3 is ideal for everyday driving, no matter what the road condition is.
- We took advantage of the overdrive inverter option, so city driving is never risky for us since upshift into overdrive gear is prevented.
- Since we install this exhaust brake lock-up control, towing has never been safer and easier for us because we've got a way to keep our speed in check without having to use the brakes. This eliminates our fear when going down steep terrains while carrying a heavy load.
- Since this is kind of an upgrade in the exhaust brake system, installation was a bit complicated and must only be done by those who are familiar with the vehicle's exhaust setup.
- It doesn't come cheap, so if you're looking for a low-cost way to improve your towing performance and safety, this may not be the upgrade that you need for now.
And we say...
Since we were really itching to find a way to achieve safer and better towing and off-road performance without compromising our highway and city driving safety, the price of this BD Diesel exhaust brake control didn't become an issue for us. We highly recommend it for people like us who have just one ride for both towing and city driving. This upgrade is really worth your every cent.