Sometimes, all you need to do to improve your diesel truck's performance is to awaken the beast that has long been lurking under the hood. And one of the best ways to do that is to outfit your off-road rig with a powerful, more capable exhaust system with larger-diameter exhaust pipes for unrestricted airflow. With bigger exhaust pipes, the time needed by the turbocharger to achieve full boost levels is reduced, thus leading to better fuel economy, good exhaust sound, and a more authoritative appearance. In our off-road Ford diesel truck, we gave the BD Diesel exhaust system--the 409 stainless steel unit--a shot. Let's see if it's up to scratch.
- Single configuration
- Sold as a kit
- With polished tips for better appearance
- Four-inch mandrel-bent tubing
- Brings an average of 10-15% increase in horsepower output
- Gives out more aggressive sound without interior drone
- For off-road use only
- Just a short while after we're done with the installation of this exhaust system, we've taken our rig out of the garage for a test drive, and we immediately noticed the big difference with how our turbocharged engine performed.
- The material from which this exhaust system is made of also deserves thumbs up from us. If we remember it right, it is crafted from low-carbon steel that's stronger, more durable, and with better corrosion resistance than most stock exhaust systems. This gives us peace of mind knowing that our rig's exhaust system could withstand the rigors of off-road driving.
- The fitment of this exhaust system is also excellent, so we didn't have a hard time installing it in place of our stock. Installation was made a whole lot easier because this kit comes complete with all the necessary installation hardware.
- While we find the exhaust sound to be great because it contributes to our ride's more powerful and muscular stance, some people may not want it that way. This isn't the best choice for off-roaders who simply want to have fun off the beaten path without seeking much attention by producing too much engine roar.
- This exhaust system isn't legal for street use, so we think it isn't ideal for vehicles that are also used for city streets unless the owner have the time to take the exhaust off and put back the stock or install a street legal unit before street driving.
If it's going to be installed on a full-time off-roader like our Ford truck, this BD Diesel exhaust system proves to be a good investment. In our experience, it greatly improves the performance of our turbocharged engine and gives out a more powerful roar. It's just sad, though, that with this installed, we can no longer legally use our truck on the road.