With the advancement of diesel engine technology, there has been a significant increase in the number of people who are being convinced of its capabilities. Prior the developments, diesel engines were considered a bane in the motoring world and would often be used only for utilitarian purposes. That began changing as automotive manufacturers created ways to make the diesel engine respond and perform like its gas-fed counterpart. With the turbochargers and intercoolers, the trucks now have more horsepower and torque and burns fuel more efficiently. However, the truck's power only comes out on the bottom end. In order to improve the middle and top end performance, further tweaking on the truck's engine is needed. This is where components like the BD Diesel governor spring kit comes into play. The modification reduces instances where you have to downshift just to deliver the right amount of torque to your truck. Since we wanted to explore improvement points on our Dodge Ram's throttle response, we got one and installed it. Here's what we found out:
- Designed for Cummins diesel engine
- Improves engine response and reduces the need for frequent gear shifts
- Brings additional horsepower and torque
- Enhances the middle and top end throttle response
- BD Diesel had a product manual for the installation and tools needed in the governor spring kit. The manual was simple and very easy to understand. Our only challenge was being able to follow the steps provided properly. If we missed anything, it could have meant that our truck would experience trouble during the road test. Fortunately, we were able to perform the modification properly.
- We felt the improvement in the throttle response during our road test. The oomph of the engine was present throughout making gear shifts more exciting. We were very happy with the difference. This was especially evident when we did hard accelerations on the truck. We could have done more sprints on the roads but chose otherwise. If we got too excited with the truck's improved performance, we would have been pulled over by cops on the highway.
- On the strip, the truck shaved off some time. Our coal roller was able to hit higher speed and shorter time as it passed through the finish line.
- We found out that this component is prohibited for road use in California due to the CARB regulations. In order to avoid being caught driving a car with a state-illegal part, we opted to operate on our truck in a different state.
The BD Diesel governor spring kit is another component that you can use to improve your truck's performance. This part can supplement other modifications like aftermarket turbos, intercoolers, and exhaust system.