When it comes to cargo hauling and towing, you can usually depend on a good ol' truck to do the hard day's work. This can be your most reliable work horse on the road, with its weight capacity, hard-wearing exterior, and monstrous power. There are times, however, when the truck can't give you precision when it comes to steering. You may experience road wander or notice that steering isn't responsive but sluggish. The death wobble can only make things worse when driving it. Some may point fingers at the steering box. But sometimes, the real troublemaker isn't really this steering component. The issues are caused by a flex, deflection, or play at the steering box because it's no longer firmly mounted onto the frame. When the box moves, then the vehicle won't be able to respond fast to the steering wheel. To keep the box stable and in place, you may secure it with a steering box brace. This will keep the steering box steady. And by doing so, the steering input will be better reflected in the way your vehicle reacts according to the steering input. For our 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, we tried the BD Diesel steering box brace to find out if it's up to the task.
- Brand new
- Includes the mounting hardware
- For 2003-2008 Dodge Ram 2500
- This steering box brace proves itself to be a reliable reinforcement. It stabilized the box, eliminating any play. As the steering box gets fixed in place, the truck's good steering control was restored.
- Complete with all the needed mounting hardware, installing the brace wasn't much trouble. It didn't require us to drill or weld anything. Every little piece needed to set up the brace and make sure that the box is supported is included in the package. The brace secured the box onto the frame. Every piece of hardware lined up perfectly well.
- The brace has a good protective coating and material quality. We can say that the brace and the mounting hardware are durably built.
- The brace is made to be compatible with the steering system of our Dodge. No questions about the fit, form, and function.
- It works as it should. We used to have problems with steering wander, especially when we carry more weight and after we added larger tires. But after we installed the part, we noticed that steering became more responsive. When turning, steering seems more precise. It also kept the box from leaking.
- Some kits are sold with a more competitive price than this.
What we think
This steering box brace is sturdy, and it fits. It secures the box into the frame, and in doing so, it keeps the box from leaking. It also helps clear steering wander and sluggish response since the box is prevented from moving. As such, steering input is better reflected through the vehicle's steering response.