I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grindthat's how a line from a hit song from the '90s goes. Sure, that line may hold true for other things, but in the automotive world, even a little of bumping and grinding can indeed be wrong. In fact, the latter can be really bad as even a seemingly minor grinding noise can be a symptom of a major problem. With that said, various automotive components can cause grinding noises. Your brake drum is one of them. If your brake drum generates grinding noises, well, it's kind of too late. That just means that one of your brake shoes is already worn and is now causing significant damage to your brake drum every time you step on the brake pedal. In this case, you'll have no choice but to replace it with a new one. Let's see if a Centric brake drum, a product of one of the leading names in the manufacture of brake parts, can be a suitable replacement.
- OE replacement
- Specifications: Floating; 5 x 5.5 in. bolt hole pattern; 12.44 in. outer diameter; 11.06 in. maximum diameter; 0.62 in. bolt size; 2.79 in. height
- Comes with a 90-day/3,000-mile Centric limited warranty
- A Centric premium series product
We put the Centric Brake Drum to the test with our Toyota Tacoma. Below are the things that we observed:The Good
- The improved braking ability is noticeable. We can confidently say that it's a significant step-up from the Tacoma's default brake drums.
- The Centric brake drum is very quiet as it produced little to no sounds--no scraping, no squealing, and of course, no grinding. The same thing can be said in terms of vibration. With those said, it seems to be a good match for our Tacoma's brake shoes.
- Installation wasn't troublesome. We didn't run into major issues when setting it up.
- We didn't experience any brake fades. Two thumbs up!
- Upon inspecting the brake drum after the tests, it still looked pretty new. It's safe to say that it's built to last. After all, it's a part of Centric's premium series.
- The warranty leaves much to be desired as three months is very short.
The Centric brake drum is definitely a suitable replacement for your old one. As said earlier, installing the product isn't tough and it functions very well. The brake drum should be a fine addition to your vehicle's braking system. And to top all of those off, the product isn't expensive at all. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck with this one.
Ease of use/installation: 4
Overall rating: 4.25/5