Vehicle customization is one of the most enjoyable things you can do on your truck, and when you do this, you must never skimp on add-ons that improve appearance and provide function like nerf bars. Installed on each side of the vehicle, nerf bars are metal bars that provide an additional, secure step to the van or truck. Originally, they are used on race cars to prevent them from bumping to each other, to keep their tires from colliding, and to make a tight pass easier. But today, nerf bars are used to add an off-road look to a vehicle. The good thing about this add-on is that you can discriminate about style. The only difficult part, perhaps, is choosing the manufacturer. One that you might try is Dee Zee, but before opting for its nerf bars, let us first put the accessory to the test.
- With 3-inch diameter
- With steel construction
- With powder-coating
- Mounted on the frame
- Comes with powder-coated steel braces
- Comes with molded plastic step pads
- Requires drilling
- Comes with a three-year Dee Zee limited warranty
We tested this component on a Ford Transit Connect and a Honda Ridgeline, and here is what we have to say:
- Visually, the component looked amazing. The bars had a captivating shine due to the powder-coating even though it was black. The construction was solid, and the craftsmanship was definitely good-quality. The finish added a quality that would resist rust for a few thousand miles.
- The installation of the component was generally easy once each had been properly identified for the front, middle, and rear passenger or driver side. We used a ratchet for tightening the bolts, but it turned out that an impact gun would have been better. The only challenging part was the drilling.
- After the installation, we stepped on the nerf bars to check if they were secure enough. They did not creak, indicating that the bolts had been correctly tightened. The step pads were really useful when stepping.
- We could not figure out at first which of the nerf bars should go on what side of the vehicles. The bars were not marked unlike the mounting brackets. Some inconspicuous markings would have made that identification part of the installation easier.
- The product did not come with a center bracket that would have made the bars stronger once installed. We would have to make sure that someone heavy would not be using those nerf bars.
- The manufacturer should have matched other brands' lifetime limited warranty.
With its mid-range price, these Dee Zee nerf bars are a good add-on to achieve that off-road look for your van or truck. We are just not that satisfied with the warranty offered, for others give a lifetime warranty for the same price. The product looks good, comes with good instructions and mounting hardware, and generally has convincing specs. Just make sure to purchase the right one for your vehicle in order to avoid any hassle.