It's common knowledge that driving at night is so much more challenging--and dangerous--than driving when the sun is still out. Fortunately, all vehicles, including yours, are equipped with headlights. You simply can't do without the said vision-boosting equipment come night time. For that reason, it's very important that they're in excellent condition at all times. Dim headlights are a huge no-no. When dimming occurs, don't blame your headlights, though--they're not at fault when that happens. Either a weak battery or a faulty alternator is to blame. If it's the latter, you'll have to get a new one. Let's see if a Denso alternator is a suitable replacement.Features
- OE replacement
- A remanufactured product that underwent a stringent quality control process
- Has an amperage output of 60
- Has six grooves
- Boasts of a damage-checked housing that protects against heat warping, corrosion, or improper surface alignment
- Includes a repacked bearing with OEM-grade lubricant
- Comes with a 12-month unlimited-mileage Denso warranty
We put the Denso alternator to the test using our Chevrolet Equinox. Below are our observations:The Good
- Since it's an OEM aftermarket product, installation wasn't that difficult.
- We didn't experience any issues in starting our Equinox. And yes, we also tested during extremely cold weather--we still didn't have any problems.
- The Denso alternator's voltage output didn't seem to be affected by extreme temperatures. It remained stable the entire time.
- The product did a good job in handling all of the Equinox's electrical requirements. It must be said, though, that our vehicle's isn't that demanding when it comes to power since it's equipped with pretty much just the basic features (no high-end audio system, for instance).
- It stayed quiet all throughout. The alternator also didn't generate any vibrations.
- The product is remanufactured. While it features a damage-checked housing, an alternator that's completely new will most likely have a longer service life.
- It's expensive. A Denso alternator normally costs more than $200. With that said, there are numerous alternatives that won't set you back as much. Brands such as Powermaster, Quality-Built, and AC Delco offer cheaper options.
- An unlimited-mileage warranty is good. However, coupling that with just a year of coverage really kills it.
The Denso alternator is one of the better ones out there. As said earlier, it works well, fits nicely, and installs easily. It's definitely up to task and is a suitable replacement for your old alternator.