For a company that has been around for more than two decades, Plews-Edelman has had a couple of historical milestones that has shaped who it is today. From one man's ambitious beginnings to his company's even more ambitious goals for the future, the Edelman brand has evolved to one of the leaders in aftermarket automotive parts. Lets take a look back of these milestones in the history of Edelman.
- 1909: Edelman Begins In Chicago
Edelman Automotive Equipment was founded by Eric Edelmann as a manufacturing company that initially specialized in battery testers and push-pull control cables. A few years after, his firm flourished in Chicago, which led the founding father to add anti-freeze testers, automotive brass fittings and other general products to his assembly line.
- 1959: E. Edelmann & Co. Starts Distributing Auto Parts
Due to his incessant need to provide his patrons with high-quality parts, Eric Edelmann decided to being premium-grade automotive parts closer to his clientele. This was what sparked his decision to dive into the business of product distribution. By 1959, Edelmann began distributing a line of power steering hose.
- 1960: E. Edelmann & Co. Expands Manufacturing
Unsatisfied with his line of products and the quality that it carries, E. Edelmann & Co. took over production of the steering hoses it distributes by the beginning of the 60s. With over 25 model-specific steering hoses, Edelman started manufacturing power steering hoses to the general public.
- 1970: Plews
As Edelmann's company started to grow, so did the potential to reach more industries. This came in the form of the Plews brand. The Plews Company originally started out as a lube manufacturing company for the railroad industry. However with the shift from railways to more private kinds of transportation, Plews needed to gear towards a change in market. This was the start of the addition of the Plews division to the Edelman Company.
- 1995: Plews/Edelman
Years after the incorporation of the Plews company, Edelmann & Co. decided to officially change their name to Plews/Edelmann.
- 1996: Plews/Edelman Expands its Brands
To further boost the already successful line of Plew lubricants, Plews and Edelman acquired LubriMatic in 1996. This acquisition allowed its product line to expand to funnels, measures, grease guns, and other service-related items.
- At present Plews & Edelman remains to one of the top manufacaturers and distributors of a wide range of automotive parts, accessories and, tools.