Of course, you would not be always carrying load on your truck bed on a good weather. There would be times when your cargo would not be friendly with rain or moisture and you would need something to cover it up. This is where a tonneau cover becomes useful. This is a great add-on that servers a functional more than an aesthetic purpose. Made of soft or hard materials, this cover can be attached to the edges of your truck bed using various means. If your truck has a toolbox, you can have a cover that can be slipped under the toolbox without any trouble. Having a quality tonneau cover at hand is always beneficial, especially that you will never know when rain in those ominous-looking clouds will fall. Perhaps, you might try the Trifecta line from Extang, but to be sure, let us first see if it is really up to scratch.
- With a tri-fold design
- Uses Hold-Tite fasteners
- Soft cover
- With aluminum rails
- Made of vinyl
- With double pivot hinges with center link and padded seals
- Improves gas mileage by up to 10 percent
- Installs without the need of tools
- Comes with a lifetime Extang limited warranty
We tested this component on a Land Rover Defender and a Nissan Frontier, and here is what we have to say:
- The cover was very easy to install. It came fully assembled. The unit installed in just thirty minutes for each truck.
- The Hold-Tite fasteners were great and really helped in securing the cover to the bed of each truck. Those fasteners provided a fast clamping system.
- The unit was made of a quality material that was indeed waterproof. We spilled water on the tonneau cover to test if it would let even a drop get into the bed. There was none.
- We drove the trucks for thirty minutes in order to see if the covers would cause some aero drag. We experienced no considerable drop in gas mileage, so we thought of that as good.
- This tonneau cover fit snugly around the railing of the trucks' bed, but somehow, we were concerned about security because we could slip a hand inside once everything had been clamped on.
- When folding the cover up, the spring clamps would not stay clipped inside the arch rails. It seemed that you would need two people to have the cover folded up.
Extang is actually one of the most-loved makers of tonneau covers in the market. There are almost zero complaints about its products when it comes to quality. If you wish to buy this Trifecta cover, you should read your instructions carefully in order to install the unit without any trouble. And do not forget to buy the right unit for the make and model of your truck.