If you want to get additional horsepower and torque for your ride with just a simple modification, then you must consider installing a header. This upgrade will definitely give you more than what you currently have, plus you will see your vehicle performing like new if everything is done right. Having new headers allows your vehicle to vent out exhaust gases better by reducing the chance of backpressure and by improving exhaust scavenging. So, with your exhaust gases flowing more efficiently out of your system, your engine does not need to exert additional effort to expel them out. That is how you get the horsepower and torque increase. You can have this improved engine performance by installing Hedman headers, but before buying them, let us first put this product to the test.
- Made of steel
- With 18-gauge tube thickness
- 49-state legal
- Requires minor modifications for fitting
- Flange-style collector attachment
- Includes gaskets
- Carries a lifetime Hedman limited warranty
We tested this component on a Pontiac GTO and a Ford F-250, and here is what we have to say:
- The steel material looked kind of thick. We definitely believed that this component was at par with other brands.
- The included gaskets really made our life easier, especially that we did not need to purchase gaskets that were compatible with the unit. We just hoped that the manufacturer included bolts, but the old ones held everything in place well after all.
- This product has a mid-line price compared with other brands.
- We had a problem fitting the component because of the length of its tubes. At some point, we had to heat one of the tubes for the GTO in order to make its end connect with the cylinder. We also had to use safety wires for the bolts so that they would not get loosened, making the exhaust gaskets to blow out.
- The clearance of the tubes in relation to the starter was very narrow. In case the starter failed, we would need to disconnect the radiator hoses and some exhaust components of the two cars in order to replace the starter. That would be a real hassle.
- The third tube of the headers looped over the valve cover bolt, making it difficult to do any work around that valve cover area of the F-250.
Although it is indicated in the specs that this product requires fitting modifications, we never expected to have so many issues. The price is good, but it seems that you are better off choosing another brand. If you purchase the right part for your car, you can somehow expect a better fit and performance. But still, with those not-so-good reviews online, buying this product will be more of a gamble.