With knowledge as their core product, Hypertech believes in providing speed through complex computer and modern know-how instead of uncalculated machinery. But how effective is their science of speed? To find out, we've installed a Hypertech Max Energy power programmer on our 2002 Ford Excursion and tested it on factors such as performance, quality, and durability.
- Handheld type for convenient tuning and modification
- Transmission shift point adjustability
- Built-in LCD display
- With internet capability; USB cable and CD included for easier calibration update online
- 49-state legal; not legal for sale or use in California
- Backed by a Lifetime Hypertech limited warranty
- Installation/connection was a no brainer. It's as easy as any plug-and-play device for your computer.
- Once we had the power programmer installed, the difference in power settings was noticeable, some adjustments more instantaneous than others. For example, we've already observed a quicker start for the truck as compared to when it was running without the part. Other improvements noticed during our test run included shift firmness and shift points, better throttle response with low end torque, and better idle power from cruising to passing.
- We also observed an increase of a quarter mile time by .5 seconds.
- A few days after installation, we were impressed with the gas mileage numbers. Before using the Hypertech power programmer, our Excursion was averaging 16.5 MPG on the highway at 70mph. Now, we are getting a steady reading of at least 19.5 mpg.
- The adjustability of the part's features is also a plus. It has wide range of options, which are easy to understand. We simply selected all our enhanced setting and pressed the Y button.
- Although improvements in power were almost instantaneous, it took a long drive before the ECU time could adjust to all the settings. This means that it took a while before we could experience any kind of difference in our Excursion's gas mileage.
- We would have appreciated data storage of some sort, either online or within the device itself. Since we had three Ford vehicles that we could use the part on, it was inconvenient for us to restore the stock settings when alternating between vehicles.
Easier calibration, instant power gains, and convenient online connectivity--that's how we define the Hypertech power programmer. This handheld type programmer is an efficient tool to help optimize your vehicles e spark and fuel curve point over RPM band. It can help increase engine performance and torque to give your vehicle the kind of power and fuel mileage it was built for. Overall, it is a good tuning and calibration device that yields both short and long term improvements.