Driving at high speed, you noticed that your vehicle is quickly losing its power, and your engine is running hotter than usual. The rattling sound from underneath your vehicle didn't seem to faze you, but the rotten-egg smell sent you to panic mode. Could it be that your catalytic converter is damaged? Most likely, it is already beyond repair, and you need to replace it right away. We tested the Magnaflow catalytic converter on our 1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV to help you determine whether this cat con has what it takes to restore the life out of a battered exhaust system.
- From the Magnaflow 53100 series
- For front, driver, or passenger side installation
- Stainless steel case and tube
- Round, ribbed body
- Measures 8 inches by 5.13 inches by 12 inches
- Ceramic honeycomb catalyst substrate
- 49-state legal
- Natural finish
- With single two-inch inlet and outlet
- Sold individually
- Requires minor vehicle modification
- Comes with lifetime Magnaflow limited warranty
- Compatible with most vehicle makes and models
What we liked
- The Magnaflow catalytic converter was very easy to install. It took us less than an hour to bed in this new cat con.
- This catalytic converter sounds quieter than stock. We didn't notice any hollow sounds from the underside of our Jeep.
- Compared to other catalytic converters of the same caliber, this one from Magnaflow offers more bang for the buck.
- Our Jeep performs a lot better with this cat con installed. The backpressure has been kept to a minimum.
What we didn't like
- It's not legal for use in California. If you live in that state, you might find yourself in hot water with traffic enforcers if you use this catalytic converter. However, you can still find other Magnaflow cat cons that are CARB-compliant.
- The Magnaflow catalytic converter requires a little bit of welding. It's not for anyone who wants a snap-on-and-forget type of cat con. If you're not comfortable handling a DIY-welding job, you can look for a catalytic converter that bolts on directly to the vehicle.
Our final say
The Magnaflow catalytic converter is for anyone who's looking for a high-performance cat con for his or her vehicle. Most catalytic converters are priced exorbitantly and are compatible with only certain vehicle types. This one fits most budgets well, considering that it's built for performance. However, newbie DIYers may find it a tad difficult to install because it needs to be welded in place.