Simply put, your car's shock absorber and strut assembly enables you to sit there inside your car without bouncing and swaying too much. Whenever you hit a pothole or get past road humps, this assembly is always at work. It gives you a comfortable ride by providing resistance to the bouncing and swaying that road irregularities cause. Over time, this assembly gets worn, causing a lot of ride hassles that are not limited to nose dipping, sideway drifting, and rocking or swaying. Thus, if you notice that you and your passengers are uncomfortable during the ride, you really have to replace the components of this assembly. An OES Genuine shock absorber and strut assembly is a possible option, but let us first see if this product will be worth your time and money.
- Original equipment replacement
- Comes with bushings and installation hardware
- With a twin-tube design
- With non-adjustable damping type
- Comes with a year or 12,000-mile limited warranty
We tested this component on a Saturn Aura XE and a Cadillac ATS, and here is what we have to say:
- We were not surprised that the component installed just right where the old shock absorber and strut used to be. It was good that it was a non-adjustable type, for we were saved the hassle of adjusting its damping to what the Aura XE and the ATS could handle.
- The accompanying bushings and installation hardware made our life easier. These helped make the newly installed assembly more dependable, given that it also had new fasteners aside from only the shock absorber and the strut.
- We checked the leak-tightness of the fluid inside the component by shaking it by hand. The fluid was barely moving, and there was no sign of leaking around the seal.
- The component looked solid and tough.
- Of course, we drove the Aura XE and the ATS for a few miles to test the shock absorber and strut assembly. We assaulted humps and holes, and it was good that the new assembly was unrelenting. It had good bounce absorption and the handling of the two vehicles considerably improved.
- The product did not come with specific instructions on how to ensure that the assembly was properly installed and secure. Also, there was no tip regarding alignment. On a related note, we sometimes heard a clicking sound around the steering column of the ATS, which we attributed to insufficiently tightened fasteners. Well, the problem could have been non-existent if detailed tips were provided.
This product is a quality OE replacement for your worn shock absorber and strut assembly. It performed well according to our expectations. Even though it is not the best out there, we can still put it on the list of our trusted ones. Of course, you would have to try the product to know its real value.