Your tail light lens is an important component that helps you be safe while driving on the road. Always available in pairs, your tail light lenses protect the tail lights from road debris and the elements, making them last longer. These also make the illuminated light of the tail lights more visible, especially at night. When broken or scratched, your tail light lenses must be replaced so that you do not make tailing drivers guess about your location and distance from them. There are a lot of brands to choose from out there, but what you should keep in mind is that you need tail light lenses that are compliant with the regulations. One brand to choose is OES Genuine, which manufactures lenses that are according to the original specs of the manufacturer. But before buying its tail light lens, let us first see if the component is really up to scratch.
- Designed for the driver side
- Includes outer lens
- Sold individually
- Manufactured as an original equipment replacement
- Made of durable and quality material
We tested this component on a 2006 Honda Civic and a 2000 Toyota Corolla Altis, and here is what we have to say:
- Overall, the part passed our inspection based on appearance. The lens had a reddish color, a smooth finish, and a good plastic construction.
- The component matched the mounting location on the driver side of each vehicle. We just had to pry off the old lens and replace it with the new one. There was no readjusting needed because of the correct fit.
- We drove the Civic and the Corolla Altis around nine in the evening in order to see if the lenses would be red enough to tailing drivers. At a distance of 150 feet, the lenses illuminated bright red light, which was visible enough to prevent a possible rear-end collision.
- These lenses did not come with the wiring harnesses that would have renewed the electrical connection on the driver side outer lenses of the Civic and the Corolla Altis.
- The products did not come with lens gaskets that would protect the inside of the lenses from moisture and water. The gaskets would have surely made the lenses last longer.
The price of this OES Genuine tail light lens is somewhere on the expensive end of the spectrum. But it is good enough in terms of looks and craftsmanship, so you can definitely treat your purchase as a definite investment. If you want the lens to last longer, secure it with a new gasket.