Since 1997, it has been Power Stop's main mission to manufacture replacement brake parts that perform better than OE parts. With its years of experience and technical know-how, many believe that it has provided the market with solutions to the toughest brake challenges. But how do we know for sure? To get to the bottom of this, we installed a Power Stop Z16 Evolution brake pad kit on our 1999 Suburban and rated its performance based on its function, fit, and form.
- Kit includes 4 carbon-ceramic pads with high-impact formulation
- Direct fit
- Fade-resistant above 1400F
- Can provide an increase in stopping power of up to 20%
- Recommended for street and performance use
- Backed by a 3-year or 36,000-mile Power Stop limited warranty
- Physically, the part looked well made and of high quality. It was almost identical to the original part it replaced.
- The Power Stop brake pads fitted the rest of the assembly perfectly. It didn't require any kind of modification to complete the replacement process.
- The replacement brake pads were relatively easy to install, which can be credited to their OE-style fit. We didn't encounter any issues with regards to fit and connections.
- During breaking-in of the pads, we noticed a really meaty feeling whenever we pressed down on the pedal. We also observed that the braking distance has been cut down in half and that there was an increase in our vehicle's stopping power. We drove for 50 miles along normal traffic and we couldn't imagine a better seal.
- A month after installation, we were impressed with the lack of brake dust on our vehicle's wheels. Especially for a Suburban that has been fitted with custom wheels, the minimal dusting was a huge plus.
- At 3,000 miles, the brake pad set was consistent with its good performance. It's reliable stopping power and quiet braking was something to take note of.
- Although the part gave the Suburban more consistency when it comes to braking performance, we noticed that at certain braking conditions the brakes tend to pulsate. This was observed while slowing down from a speed of 50 mph.
- We also had to remove the paint and some metal on the ends of the pads to make them look more flawless on the assembly. It wasn't a matter of fit. It was merely done to give the brakes a smoother look when viewed from the outside.
The Power Stop brake pad set is a kit of OEM-quality replacement pads that offers efficient brake performance that is both reliable and consistent. Its carbon-ceramic composition also offers not-too-soft/not-too-hard braking while producing minimal brake debris. Although the pads may require a few modifications to improve its aesthetic appeal, its overall fit and function makes the Power Stop brake pad kit a replacement that is worthy to invest on.