As one of our bestselling aftermarket brands, Replacement is a crowd favorite due to its low price and impressive quality. But these factors are not enough when it comes to looking for an axle assembly that will give you the same level of performance and durability as the original part. To find out if the Replacement axle assembly delivers its promise of better performance, we installed the part on a 1995 Mercury Villager and rated it on factors such as performance, quality, and ease of installation.
- OE-replacement fit and quality
- Part sold individually
- Comes complete with joints, boots, and an axle nut
- Backed by a 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty
- Upon physical inspection, the Replacement axle assembly looked solid and well-built. It didn't seem to look any different from the axle we had replaced on our 17-year old Villager.
- The part also had the same fit as the original equipment. No modifications were needed as we installed the part on the mini-van.
- Since the part included all the needed boots, joints, and nuts, the Villager rode smoothly after installing the new axle assembly. Replacing the entire assembly instead of just the boot made the axle's function more efficient. This was evident from the huge change in the Villager's drive after the replacement.
- Price is very impressive. It costs less than most of its competitors but still has the same standard of quality as other brands.
- Although the Replacement axle assembly had the same fit as an OEM part, installation was difficult. Fitting the inner CV axle into the transmission proved to be a challenge. We had to forcefully snap the lock ring into the axle to keep it in place. We struggled with it for an hour before we could fully install the part.
- The nuts and joints were also a bit hard to handle. We found them dangerously loose and we had to use lubricant to get them tightened.
The Replacement axle assembly is an inexpensive alternative to an OEM replacement part. It is well-built to ensure OE-comparable durability and performance. It also includes all the necessary hardware that can cut down your installation time in half. The part's installation can get a bit tricky though. So if you're an inexperienced DIYer, its best to leave the replacement to an expert mechanic. But with the more affordable price and OE-replacement quality of the part, this is a good product to try on your vehicle.