Your car's coolant reservoir is an important component that helps the engine to operate at a safe temperature. Without this expansion or overflow reservoir, the coolant, once the car is turned on, will not have a place to go to when it starts to expand due to excessive engine heat. This reservoir has an inflow and outflow valve connected to the radiator; the coolant passes through the inflow valve from the radiator to the reservoir once expanded, and it goes back to the radiator once the engine is cooled down. Even though you do not need to understand this part of the cooling process of your engine, you need to ensure that the reservoir is always leak-tight. Check out this replacement coolant reservoir and see if it has the qualities you want for your cooling system.
- Made of high-quality plastic
- Original equipment replacement
- Comes with a cap
- Comes with a year of unlimited-mileage warranty
We installed and tested this component on a Subaru Impreza and a Lincoln Navigator, and here is what we have to say:
The good bits
- The component installed just right in the space provided for it in the engine bay. The cap fit well with the nipple of the reservoir.
- With its plastic construction, the reservoir's body was thick enough to withstand the excessive heat of the expanded coolant. Its size was also able to accommodate the amount of expanded coolant spilling out of the radiator tubes.
- Being a new and original equipment replacement, the component did not show signs of leaking and held the expanded coolant's pressure well. Also, the coolant did not bubble up, which meant that no air was able to get into the system.
- The price of the product is actually very affordable, a lot cheaper by 10USD or 20USD than those from branded ones.
The not-so-good bits
- The product did not come with the replacement valves that would have complemented the newly installed expansion reservoir better.
- The warranty provided for this product is not very enticing. Compared with its year of unlimited-mileage warranty, the three years and lifetime limited warranties provided by AutoTrust and Dorman, respectively, are actually better.
Having this replacement coolant reservoir will surely be a good investment for your car's cooling system. Both the Impreza and the Navigator experienced the reservoir's ability to temporarily catch the expanded anti-freeze without causing any unlikely behavior to the engine. Besides, it is an original equipment replacement, so you can count on that it has the same specifications as your factory-installed one.