Driving around with a bad muffler is not only bad for the environment; it's also irritating on the ears. If you keep on getting nasty looks from your neighbors or see cops tailing you on the highway, perhaps it's about time that you change your old, rusty muffler. We took the Replacement muffler for a test on our Hyundai Accent, and here's what we discovered.
- OE replacement
- Made from aluminized steel
- Comes in a natural finish
- Oval case shape
- Stock sound level
- Clamp-on type
- One-piece design
- With single, center inlet
- Measures 80 inches L by 10 inches W by 15 inches H
- Sold individually
- With one-year unlimited-mileage warranty
What we liked
- This muffler is a direct fit; it bolts right in easily. We didn't have to do any modification on our vehicle during installation. That's a good thing since tinkering on other automotive parts increases the risk of creating more damage. Mounting was finished in less than 30 minutes--much faster than we had expected.
- Similar to the stock one we had, this muffler emits a low, mellow tone at idle. It gradually progresses to a smooth, deep sound, but not like the rasping growl usually characterized by middling mufflers. We drove our Hyundai Accent around town without attracting too much attention from residents or cops.
- Dealership price can set you back a good $400. This muffler has a list price of just a little over a hundred dollars. We got it on a sweet sale price of less than $100.
- For an aluminized steel muffler, this one is surprisingly well built. Its one-piece design eliminates the need for bending, cutting, and welding.
What we didn't like
- It's slightly heavier than our stock muffler, but the weight doesn't necessarily affect its performance.
- It's made from aluminized steel, not stainless. We're a bit adamant to say how long this muffler would last, given that it's not made from stainless steel.
Our final say
With the exception of its heavier weight and less sturdy material, the Replacement muffler is an excellent OE alternative to stock pipes. This muffler gives a soft, non-intruding sound perfect for daily driving applications. With a price that's much lower than the dealership's, this muffler is highly recommended for those who want an economical but high-quality muffler replacement.