A well-regulated temperature is necessary in order to keep your engine running healthy, but there are a lot of factors that can make it overheat. One such factor is a failing thermostat. This component is responsible for regulating the temperature of the coolant coming into the engine and of the portion sent to the radiator. Whenever the coolant travels from the engine to the radiator, it passes at some point through the opening of the thermostat, which then controls coolant flow and heat flow by changing the size of its opening. Failure of the thermostat can cause escalated engine temperature, which when unchecked, could lead to engine damage. Thus, replace this component immediately once you notice a sudden upsurge in engine temperature. Why not try Stant this time? But before buying its product, let us first look at its specifications and performance.
- Made of stainless steel
- Original equipment replacement
- With opening temperature of 180 degrees
- With a patented V-notch design for optimum coolant metering
- With high-flow venturi for maximum cooling capacity
- With a strong operating spring
- Improves engine operation, fuel economy, and emissions
We tested this component on a 2005 Saturn Curve and a 1999 Dodge Durango, and here is what we have to say:
- The component passed our visual inspection. The housing was made of quality stainless steel. The other parts such as the charge cylinder, spring, main valve, and bypass valve were all in good condition.
- It was a good timing that we had the test during a summer. After the installation of the thermostat, we noticed that the temperature of the engine of the Curve and the Durango was considerably cooler. We constantly checked the temperature gauge during the drive, and the needle never reached the unsafe level.
- The component fit perfectly on its mounting location on top of the radiator hose. We did not need to trim or shave excess parts of the metal tabs. Using the socket to compress the spring was probably the most challenging part.
- The component did not come with the gasket that would provide a secure hold of the thermostat housing at the top of the radiator hose. We still had to make a separate order because of that.
- The product did not come with the little cardboard tube that would have made the installation easier.
This product comes with a very competitive price that is not that bad for the craftsmanship, appearance, and specs you will get. The lack of the additional components is the only issue we have with this unit, but other than that, it did what it had to do: the engine of the Durango and the Curve operated at a safer temperature.