Sylvania, a company now known for its lighting innovations, has a long history that dates back to the previous century. The road to the company's success wasn't a straight and easy one, but is one that is filled with interesting twists and turns.
The company started out as a humble business in Massachusetts. It founder, Frank Poor, was then an enterprising young man who bought and restored burnt-out light bulbs for a small company in Middleton, Massachusetts.
Poor soon bought the company he was working for, moved to Danvers, and established a new company with his brothers. His new company, the Hygrade Incandescent Lamp Company, sold carbon- and tungsten-filament light bulbs.
A New Corporation
A merger with NILCO, Sylvania, and the Hygrade Lamp Company later on birthed the Hygrade Sylvania Corporation. In 1939, the company released its very first, tubular fluorescent lamp, which was featured in the New York World's Fair in 1939.
By 1942, the company changed its name to Sylvania Electric Products, and the enormous growth within the company began. Sylvania soon delved into manufacturing consumer electronics for its customers.