Worn shocks and struts are what you surely have if you have never replaced these components for more than three years. Just like any responsible car owner, your impulse would be to purchase a shock absorber and strut assembly that would restore your suspension system in order to give you a comfortable ride. But any product that promises a comfortable ride is surely being vague. At best, you have to look for something that can provide your ride improved stability, cornering and braking, and steering response. Do not search too far for a quality assembly because one from Tokico's HP line might be the right one to choose. But before opting for this product, let us put it under scrutiny.
- With a twin-tube design
- With blue finish
- With non-adjustable damping type
- Recommended for street performance
- Carries a lifetime Tokico limited warranty
We tested this component on a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Nissan 300ZX, and here is what we have to say:
- The component fit just right on the Land Cruiser and the 300ZX despite the fact that each unit had a wider rod diameter and was longer than the ones removed.
- We drove the two vehicles on the highway and in the city to see if handling would improve. We enjoyed a better cornering response, and nose dive during braking was considerably diminished.
- We assaulted pot holes and bumps on the road in order to see how the component would handle them. The assembly had a flexible damping control due to the multi-stage variable aperture sandwich valve, which allowed the struts to compress and extend according to road irregularities.
- The construction of the product looked dependable. The chrome-plated and micro-polished piston rod would prevent premature rusting, and the Teflon-coated bushing was a great guarantee of optimum strut performance.
- We experienced a quite bouncy ride when driving the Land Cruiser. Perhaps, it was because we had lowered the vehicle's height a few months back, and this product was not meant to be used on lowered vehicles.
- The shock absorber and strut assembly made the ride with the 300ZX stiff--too stiff that it made our buttocks numb after the ride. It was non-adjustable, so we were unable to configure the stiffness of the component.
- The product has a slightly steeper price compared with other brands.
Despite its expensive price, this Tokico shock absorber and strut assembly performs great. The product will surely be able to restore the lost comfort in your ride. Just make sure that you do not install it on a lifted or lowered vehicle.