One great component of your car that adds to your safe driving is your wiper blades. Invented in 1910, your wiper blade is responsible for cleaning water off your windshield in order to give you a better line of sight. Back then, this component needed to be operated manually by hand, but over time, the model became operated with a vacuum or a motor. Motorized wiper blades are now common, and to increase their efficiency, they come with a pump that produces wiper blade fluid to help with the cleaning of the windshield. When your wiper blade leaves streaks on the windshield, becomes noisy, and fails to give a fluid movement, then it is the right time for you to replace it. One brand that you might try is Trico, but before opting for its unit, let us first put it to the test.
- Framed wiper blade
- Sold individually
- Made of steel
- Has a twin-rail design
- Engineered to wrap with highly curved windshields
- With precision-cut rubber edge
We tested a pair of front and rear wiper blades on a 1995 Alfa Romeo 164 and a 2002 Bentley Continental, and here is what we have to say:
- The installation of the component took a little bit longer than expected, but it was not that challenging after all. We had to align the wiper stem with the blade attachment, and then pull the hook into place. The entire procedure took a surprising thirty-five minutes for each vehicle.
- Visually, the front and rear wiper blades looked all right. The frames were thick and solid, the units had a slightly curved bend, and the rubber edges were neatly cut.
- Since we did not have any rain on the test day, we opted for a sprinkler instead. The wiper blade responded well to each setting on the control, and it was able to sweep dust and water off the windshield and the back window. The blades did not leave any streaks on the curved windows and windshields of the two vehicles. For the 164, it functioned without creating any disturbing sound.
- The framed design of the wiper blades did not match that of the old units on the Continental. This product had an attachment mechanism that was different from other brands; the rubber was not embedded into the body, making it difficult to fit on the rear window of the vehicle.
- The wiper blades installed on the windshield of the Continental created squawking and squeaking sounds during operation. We could not stand driving the vehicle for thirty minutes with that sound irritating our ears, so we just had enough after ten minutes.
The price of this product is somewhere along the middle line; it is definitely cheaper by a few dollars than Anco and Bosch. Performance-wise, there is not much problem as long as your unit matches the year of your vehicle. In fact, Trico admits that its wiper blades match only 98% of all vehicles in the market, so you would have to find out if yours falls under the remaining 2%.