Do you ever wonder why your motor and transmission do not move when you accelerate at a high speed? That is because these parts are secured by mounts. Your car's motor and transmission mounts are two separate but related parts that hold your engine and transmission components in place. Specifically, your transmission mount ensures that the linkage of the transmission is properly aligned, while the motor mount ensures that the engine does not vibrate and is properly connected. Together, these two mounts are there in order to control torque and driveline vibration to the chassis. If your vehicle is quite old, make sure to have these components replaced. But before shopping for new parts, let us see if a Westar motor and transmission mount can hold up to your expectations.
- Constructed from high-quality steel
- With rubber connectors for proper vibration dampening
- Allows proper rotation and alignment of automobile parts
- Original equipment replacement
We tested these mounts on an Acura Legend LS and a Cadillac DeVille, and here is what we have to say:
- The installation of the motor and transmission mounts for the two vehicles was just okay. We just had to remove the fasteners from the old ones and switch the components before refastening them to the car frame.
- Prior to the installation of the mounts, the glove box of the Cadillac DeVille usually rattled when driving and stopping at red lights. That annoyance was obviously gone because of the good rubber dampeners and the rigidity of the mounts.
- When driving the Legend LS for thirty minutes, we heard a clanking or rattling sound around the area where the transmission mount should be. We found out that the mount did not have a groove where the shift cable could be bolted on to.
- The components did not come with bolts that would have been a benefit, given that installing the mounts with new bolts would ensure that they would fit better.
- When testing the durability of the mounts during installation, we found out that one end of the mounts was hollow. It was likely that the components were made of a lighter kind of steel plate.
Westar motor and transmission mounts are made with OE specifications, but we saw some reviews indicating that the plates are slightly less thick than OE ones. Other reports also said that small signs of warpage are present near the bolt holes. Although these are anecdotal, you have to ensure that your motor and transmission mounts are of the same quality as your factory-installed ones.