As soon as your throttle actuator reaches its recommended service life, replace it. Doing this will free you from any engine-related problems. As you know, this part is the heart of your electronic throttle control (ETC). It serves as your accelerator pedal and throttle linkage minus the Bowden cable. One of the benefits you get from this actuator is seamless performance of your powertrain at any given temperature, accessory load, and other prevailing conditions. But, when the part fails, this efficient performance is compromised. Replacing it with an equally reliable device as soon as the problem arises is best.
What you need:
The right fit
Often, you are torn between getting an original equipment (OE) part and aftermarket product. Just remember that:
- An OE throttle actuator offers exact fit that makes its installation in your automobile a lot easier, but it is always priced higher than replacement actuators.
- An aftermarket throttle actuator, on the other hand, is just the compatible replacement for your automobile make and model. It features innovative design and engineering that can improve your system's performance. It is also priced lower than your OE part.
The materials, production, and technology
- Stainless steel and aluminum with plastic. You can find stainless steel and aluminum with plastic throttle actuators in the market these days.
- Heat treatment. Heat treating the aluminum, stainless steel, and plastic strengthens these materials. Look for an actuator that has undergone heat-treatment procedures for longer-lasting service life.
- Real-life tests. Choose a replacement actuator that is rated using real-life tests. These guarantee the part's great performance when subjected to the extreme conditions in your vehicle.
The stainless steel offers durability that both aluminum and plastic fall short of, but it weighs more than the other two materials.
Aluminum is more resistant to heat and weighs less, making it the better choice of material. Plastic, on the other hand, is less durable but weightless, inexpensive, and flexible. You can then expect good price and performance from an aluminum actuator with a plastic cover.
As always, an OE throttle actuator is the best choice whenever you're replacing your old part or restoring the overall performance of your system. But, there are also aftermarket replacements that offer the same benefits at lower prices. If you are conscious about your maintenance costs, opt for these direct-fit replacements. Just make sure that you are getting them from a world-class brand to ensure their performance and durability.