Some car owners are able to crank the engine from under the hood using some handy gadgets like a remote starter switch. This device makes it possible for typical car owners to perform compression tests or even make the necessary adjustments for the valve, camshaft, and/or distributor. With this tool, going to an auto shop isn't the only option for car owners--DIY is also possible to save some money. To help DIYers find the best devices and tools, we've reviewed a good number of products in the market. We've added the Actron remote starter switch to the list, and here's what we have to say about this product.
- Made with protective rubber boots
- Features a "power-tool" type trigger switch
- Comes with 10-amps
- Has medium current clips open to 1/2 in.
- Best used for compression tests
- What we like about this remote starter switch is that it's safe to use. The rubber boots help prevent electrical shorts.
- We love the power-tool trigger design of the switch. The ergonomic handle also adds to its convenience.
- The switch made it possible for us to turn over the motor from under the hood. We were also able to bump the engine onto a top dead center. The switch is great for compression tests and for adjusting the distributor, valve, and camshaft.
- It's easy to use. This device is very practical if you want to crank the engine all by yourself without turning the key.
- We would like to see the clips redesigned so that they could be used easily on other starter fittings. They can be a bit big and bulky. Because of this, working on confined fittings can be hard.
Although we'd like to have redesigned clips to go with the remote starter switch, we can say that this tool works well enough for us. It's convenient, although for beginners, it would take some time to figure out how it's plugged and used. But after the fittings have been settled, the rest would be easy. It's a practical tool. It's priced just right for what it can do. If you're looking for a remote starter switch that's not too expensive, this can be a good option.