Actron have been a go-to name when it comes to auto scanners and diagnostic tools, and one of the key products it offers is the Actron thermometer. From diagnosing an overheating engine to a malfunctioning AC, the Actron thermometer is designed to provide accurate temperature readings with just a push of a button. In this review, we put the Actron thermometer through the paces.
- Special optical lens design allows for highly accurate measurements over wide temperature ranges
- Measurement Range: -58ºF to +932ºF (-50ºC to +500ºC)
- Backlit LCD displays temperature readings in both Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Laser pointer
- Visual low battery indicator
- Kit includes two AAA batteries and belt holster
- Consistent, accurate temperature detection. We took readings of a single test sample several times, and all instances showed virtually the same output from the thermometer.
- The laser gives the thermometer an exceptionally long range, going as far as 20 meters of accurate measurements according to our tests. While most people certainly won't take the temperature of the car's engine or AC at such distances, it does showcase how powerful and precise the detection system of the Actron thermometer.
- Ergonomic design. The thermometer fit snugly in our hand and resembled that of a handheld bar code scanner. The device is also limited to just a single button, so you can practically use it using just one hand.
- Easy point-and-click operation. All you have to do is point the thermometer at your designated target, press the scan button, and look at the reading. The thermometer's optical lens is also quite forgiving, so it can still pick up the temperature even if your aim is a bit off the mark.
- Easy-to-read display. The LCD is well lit and displays readings in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. It also has a low battery indicator that shows you when you need to replace the batteries.
- Its size and shape makes it a bit difficult to maneuver in cramped and tight spaces. You will need to put your arms in awkward positions just to put the thermometer on target.
- Does not work on reflective surfaces. Shiny, chromed surfaces are basically this device's kryptonite as the laser will simply bounce off.
The bottom line
The Actron thermometer totally delivers on its claims, providing accurate readings at near instant speeds with a single button press. It's definitely something you should keep inside your garage.