The shift lever bushing is one of hundreds of parts that most car owners only become aware of once it's broken. Also known as the shifter bushing, the shift lever bushing keeps the shift stick steady and responsive when changing gears. And once these bushings wear out, it could lead to an extremely loose shift that rattles and slips inches at a time.
Worn out or broken shift lever bushings must be replaced immediately to ensure the continued optimum performance of your car's stick shift. In this review, we checked one of the more popular bushings in the market, the Advanced Suspension Technologies shift lever bushings, and put them to the test.
- Replaces worn out shift lever bushings
- Made of polyurethane
- Exceeds performance standards of factory bushings
- Direct-fit installation
- Highly durable, thanks to its polyurethane construction. Advanced Suspension Technologies makes all its bushings out of polyurethane, which degrades slower than rubber and more resistant to high temperatures as well as exposure to oil and other chemicals.
- Its direct-fit design makes installation a breeze. Though this shifter bushing is technically an aftermarket performance product, it matches the OE specifications for bushings. It's like basically trying to install a stock bushing in your shifter, except made of better materials and thus more resilient.
- High price tag. The cost of Advanced Suspension Technologies shift lever bushings is up to $60 online, which is definitely higher than your typical replacement bushings. This certainly makes it a difficult option to choose for car owners who are shopping on a tight budget, though it is certainly worth the price.
- Doesn't do much else. Aside from its heavy-duty polyurethane construction, the Advanced Suspension Technologies bushing offers nothing else in terms of function. While this may seem positive to those who prefer the performance of their stock shifter bushings, we were a bit disappointed that it didn't provide more features especially with its price.
The bottom line
Although it does not offer any bells and whistles and will definitely burn in your pocket, the Advanced Suspension Technologies shift lever bushing remains a better choice than standard bushings due to its improved durability. If you are willing to spend a bit more, investing on these bushings will certainly pay off in the long term as they will certainly provide commendable performance for many years to come.