AEM is well-recognized in the industry for its line of performance electronics for automobiles, and one of its latest offerings is the AEM EGT monitor. Meant to track the exhaust temperature of turbocharged engines, this monitor has lightning-quick response times and smooth needle movement, making it one of the fastest and most accurate gauges available in the market today. In this review, we got several units of AEM's monitors and put them to the test.
- Suitable for gas or diesel turbocharged engines
- Gauge readout from 100-300 Fahrenheit
- Adjustable backlighting
- Interchangeable bezels and faceplates
- 320 degree viewing area
- Includes K-Type thermocouple sensor
- Easy-to-install harness
- 0-5v analog output included for use with data loggers and virtually any engine management system
- Electronic stepper motor needle
- Standard 52mm (2-1/16") housing
- Provides accurate monitoring and more. The AEM EGT monitor provided comparatively precise temperature readings during our tests. The monitor's needle, in particular, moves smoothly, allowing us to get up-to-the-minute readings. This rapid response makes this monitor a great data logger or as a part of a trigger system during high engine temperatures.
- The monitor comes with all the necessary components. Even the temperature gauge has a thermocouple sensor, which is absent in EGT monitors from other brands.
- Customizable appearance. Each kit comes with black and white interchangeable bezels as well as an adjustable backlight that you can adjust according to your preferences. Be careful when replacing the bezel, however, as you might ding the housing or the needle in the process.
- Easy readability. The 320 degree wide viewing angle made it easier for us to glance at the monitor and get the readings immediately, not to mention the backlight and needle color that is easy on the eyes.
- There was some damage on the packaging. In one of the sets we received, the spare bezels were scratched. We sent this back to AEM and it immediately gave us a replacement.
- The price is a bit high compared to other EGT monitors in the market. AEM EGT monitors can reach upwards of $200 online, although we also found vendors selling them for as low as $150.
The bottom line
With precise temperature measurements, easy readability, and several options for user customization, the AEM EGT monitor definitely has its strengths. Our only real caveat is that is that it is a bit pricey, but if you have the cash, you will certainly not regret investing in this.