There was a time when drivers who outfit their ride with high-RPM engines or run nitrous oxide don't have a choice but to convert to a Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) system, what with all the compromises they have to make when they use inductive coils instead. Thankfully, AEM Performance Electronics has found a way to deliver massive spark energy and output voltage even without using CDI system--the High Output IGBT Inductive "Smart" Coil. This coil is ideal for rides that don't have an external igniter. Let's see if it is up to scratch.
- Produces up to 40K output voltage
- Comes with weather- and shock-proof design
- Provides up to 103mJ of spark energy
- Spark duration is up to 2.9mS
- Delivers CDI-like spark energy without actually using a CDI
- Can be installed directly into the engine
- Cheaper than aftermarket LS1 coils
- Can be mounted virtually anywhere
- For applications with internal igniter in the ECU
What we like
- These coils pretty much hold up to our expectations--it provided our high-RPM engine with its much-needed long spark duration at full energy.
- Unlike CDI systems, these inductive coils don't require a CDI module, and this is one thing that made installation simpler, though we still made sure to do everything very carefully.
- Upon installation, these coils work perfectly well, providing our ride with massive spark energy and eliminating the small spark events that we've noticed with our CDI system.
- We were impressed with its heavy-duty construction and shockproof design, which allowed us to mount it almost anywhere without hesitation. This is a plus for those who want to fabricate short primary and secondary wiring.
What we don't like
- Though it can easily be installed, we still exercised caution as we installed this set up, especially because we ditched our CDI and replaced it with these "Smart" coils. We were aware that any wrong move on our part can compromise our ignition upgrade and our engine's performance as well.
- DIYers should make sure they have enough know-how with their ride's ignition and engine setup if they want to take full advantage of this upgrade.
What's our final say?
Since we have sufficient DIY experience and mechanical knowledge, this upgrade was such a smooth process and great experience for us. The coils don't require CDI module, which helped cut our installation time. This is a good buy for those who are aiming for CDI-like voltage and spark energy without actually installing a CDI system. However, we recommend that this upgrade be done only by those with enough DIY experience and mechanical knowledge.