Finding a standard OEM replacement oil filler cap is very easy nowadays, but if you are eyeing for an oil filler cap that can offer more, there is the AEM oil filler cap. AEM's aluminum oil filler caps are aftermarket performance caps designed to replace the stock oil filler cap in the engine and add a style distinctive in street racers today. In this review, we got several of AEM's oil filler caps and put them to the test.
- Made of billet aluminum
- Direct-fit installation
- Available in various colors
- Its aluminum construction makes the oil filler cap highly resistant to corrosion, extremely lightweight, and sturdier compared to cast and forged steel caps. This cap will surely see years or even decades of use provided of course that you don't intentionally wreck it.
- Easy to install. The oil filler cap we got was advertised for use in Mitsubishi Lancers, and the threads fit seamlessly onto the engine of our late model Lancer. This is a big plus for us, considering that we have encountered many aftermarket oil filler caps that ended up being ill-fitting on their designated vehicles.
- Serves as a great accent to your car's engine. It especially makes for a great compliment to any tricked-out engine bay. It also comes in silver, red, blue and other colors, so you can certainly pick one that matches your style.
- Caps are not compatible with all vehicle makes and models. Most AEM oil filler cap models we've encountered are geared mainly towards Japanese cars.
- Doesn't do much else beyond looks. The oil filler cap does not offer anything else in the way of function and features. This may not be a problem for those who are just looking for a stylish new oil cap, but we find this to be a drawback as there are other aftermarket oil filler caps in the market that also come with improved grip, built-in dipsticks, and other features.
- No warranty. We were a bit disappointed that the cap does not come with a warranty, especially given AEM's rock-solid warranty program for its other aftermarket products.
The bottom line
Although it does not provide much in the way of functionality, the AEM oil filler cap is certainly durable and stylish. So if you are leaning in more for an oil filler cap that could serve as a sporty accent to your car's engine, AEM's oil filler cap might just fit the bill.