Those who engage in racing and high-speed driving should always keep tab on their vehicle's internal condition. Since heat could be your worst enemy, it pays to outfit your ride with components that could help you monitor not just engine overheating but also oil temperature, especially in severe driving conditions. That's what the AEM oil temperature gauge is for. We tested the AEM analog-style gauge out on our carbureted vehicle, and here's what we have to say:
- From 100 to 300 Fahrenheit gauge readout
- Displays accurate oil temperature
- Ideal for use on carbureted or EFI vehicles
- Backlighting can be adjusted via a dial at the rear of the gauge
- Comes with interchangeable black and silver bezels, as well as white and black faceplates
- 320-degree viewing area
- Package inclusion: oil temp gauge, sensor, harness, and complete installation hardware
- Easy-to-install wiring harness
- Can be used with data loggers and various engine management systems through the 0-5v analog output
- Electronic stepper motor needle
- Standard 52mm (2-1/16") gauge housing
- Backed by 1-year AEM limited warranty
- We particularly love that this gauge is so easy to read, regardless of the cabin's lighting conditions. We have an older driver, and even he didn't have a hard time checking the oil temperature reading from time to time. If the backlight doesn't seem to please you, there's a dial at the back of the gauge that you can use to adjust the lighting.
- The 320-degree viewing area is also a plus as it allows us to see the display from almost any angle. Yes, when the driver's too focused on the road, even his passengers can check on the gauge and update him should there be an alarming change on the oil temperature.
- It's just so great that this AEM oil temperature gauge already includes a high-quality sensor, so compatibility was never an issue for us. Since it is also packed with all the necessary installation hardware, mounting the gauge in place went out so smoothly.
- The choice of bezels and faceplates, though limited, will always give you something that will complement the overall design theme of your interior. Since we've got chrome trims and accessories in our ride, we chose the silver bezel and black faceplate, and we're surprised at how great it looks and how it matches the other gauge clusters on our dash.
- It is a bit expensive compared to other oil temperature gauges from other brands.
- The warranty isn't enticing, either. It would have been better if the warranty coverage is longer.
In our ride, we always aim for precision and thankfully, this AEM oil temperature gauge exceeded our expectations. We were so impressed at how easy it is to read and install, and we love just how it complements the rest of the things we have in our dash. The price may be a bit steep, but with the quality of this product, it will surely pay for itself in the long run.