The spark plugs in your car are designed to withstand years of stressful use, but the same cannot be said for their wires. Spark plug wires are highly vulnerable to heat from the engine, and once they fail, the wires will bring the spark plugs down with them. Because of this, most cars nowadays have spark plug wire covers expressly to keep the wires well-protected.
Spark plug wire covers are essential in keeping your car's spark plugs in good condition. In this review, we checked the AEM spark plug wire to see whether it is worth the purchase.
- Covers the spark plug wires and wire boots from heat generated by the headers and exhaust manifolds
- Helps prevent burn-through, hardening, and cracking
- Double-layered construction can withstand temperatures as high as 1200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Made in the USA
- Exceptional craftsmanship. The covers are sewn together rather well and had a heavier feel to it than we expected.
- Easy installation. The spark plug wire covers come with metal rings on the inside of the sleeve which you need to slide over the wire plugs and squeeze in order to lock the cover in place. We recommend using a pair of pliers during this process.
- Effective heat insulation. The covers do a great job in protecting the wires from heat, especially those that are emanating from the headers.
- A bit pricey. The quality of the craftsmanship and insulation of the covers do come at a price of up to $30 online. Granted, the covers do come in a set; but compared to other spark plug wire covers that are available in the market right now, it is certainly quite a hefty price tag.
- No warranty. Though spark plug wire covers are considered to be expendable, it would still be a great benefit if they also come with a warranty.
The bottom line
Though they do cost a bit more than other covers sold in the market today, you will certainly get your money's worth with the AEM spark plug wire covers. The covers are well made, effectively insulate the wires from the heat coming from the engine, and require very minimal time, effort, and tools to install. These are definitely a good choice when you are looking for a new set of covers for your car's spark plug wires.