For those looking for a cheap, alternative way to improve engine performance, getting a throttle body spacer is often one of the first options considered by many. Basically a 1-inch thick steel panel, the throttle body spacer is said to increase the amount of cold air drawn into the engine by swirling or directing air flow into the intake manifold. This increased volume of cold air, in turn, is said to increase horsepower, torque, and overall fuel economy.
Because of the supposed benefits provided by these add-ons, many aftermarket brands have included throttle body spacers in their product line-ups. One popular brand that is offering spacers right now is AEM. Known for its performance air intake parts, AEM offers throttle body spacers as part of its cold air intake systems. In this review, we got a set of AEM throttle body spacers and put it to the test.
- Designed for use with AEM Brute Force air intake systems
- Powder coated steel construction
- TIG-welded fittings and brackets
- Kit includes mounting hardware and instruction manual
- Backed by limited AEM lifetime warranty
- Spacer is highly resistant to heat. Each AEM throttle body spacer is specially treated to withstand high temperatures, making it an effective heat shield for the air intake components.
- Comes with all the necessary hardware needed to install the spacer onto the air intake. Keep in mind, however, that this only applies to AEM air intakes systems, so if you have a stock air intake or one from a different brand, you might need to make some considerable adjustments in order to install the spacer.
- Comes with a warranty. AEM is well known for its robust warranty program, so we're delighted that the spacer is also covered by its warranty.
- The spacer is not compatible with all air intakes. As we have mentioned above, the AEM throttle body spacer is designed with AEM's air intake systems in mind and may not work with those from other brands. In fact, this air intake may even degrade the performance of the air intake. So make sure to check for compatibility first before purchasing this spacer.
With its heat-resistant properties, the AEM throttle body spacer helps keep cool air circulating into the engine and at the same time protect the filter and other air intake components from the heat emanating from the engine.