Performance modifications come in many forms. But we are always after that "ideal" power to fuel economy ratio which has evaded us until now. Probably the next best thing we can do is improve the performance of the aftermarket components. This way, the gas guzzling properties of our engines can really be compensated by true performance. In the quest to do so, we explored the capabilities of the AEM water/methanol injection system. As we dissected the system, we noted how each component plays a vital role to provide more power to the car. Here we look at the AEM water/methanol injection filter. The part was included during the installation of the AEM water/methanol injection kit to our Mitsubishi Lancer.
- Stainless steel micronic mesh screen
- Polypropylene housing
- Serviceable assembly
- Universal fit for water/methanol systems
- Installing the entire water/methanol injection assembly can be tricky. However, we found out that the filter alone is not too much of a task to install. We mounted the filter between the tank and pump. After, we checked for leaks in the system but there was none.
- The good thing about installing the filter to our car is its preventive function. With the capability to filter out particles up to 40 microns, we were given a certain degree of assurance of cleaner detonations. We know for a fact that debris that enters the block through the fuel and water/methanol lines can hurt our engines. If these occurrences persist, then we would be left with yet another faulty engine. Repairing the damages caused by long-term exposure to debris can be costly and unnecessary but could have been avoided.
- If not cleaned regularly, we believe that the clogged water/methanol filter would significantly reduce kit's effects to the car's performance. Just remember to keep the water/methanol injection kit's maintenance in your priority list.
- Other than the stainless steel fittings that looked top-notch, the other pieces that comprise the water/methanol filter looked cheap. Maybe it was just us, but with the way the unit looked, we felt that its individual price is a bit on the high side.
We consider the AEM water/methanol filter as an integral part of the water/methanol injection system that you are about to install to your car. Should you decide to make a separate purchase specifically for this component, just keep in mind its capabilities and limitations.