Gear heads like you and us have been wanting at least a small ounce of efficiency to match the performance upgrades that we put into our vehicles. But the sad truth is, we don't really have too many components to install that can fully offset the gas-guzzling tendencies of performance vehicles. As a consolation, there are ways to optimize the fuel-burning capabilities of our engines. One option is intercooling via water/methanol injection. We tried out the AEM water/methanol injection kit on our turbocharged Mitsubishi Lancer.
- User-friendly controller interface
- Simplified wiring
- Boost safe monitoring system
- Internally-bypassed injection pump
- Comes with a low profile one-gallon tank for the fluid
- Machined billet injectors and nozzles
- We put the Lancer on the dyno and made comparisons against another turbocharged Lancer without the water/methanol injection kit. It produced a better dyno output with about 25 horsepower more than the one without the kit. That's around 10% increase in engine performance.
- After the dyno, we ran our Lancer hard on the track. Aside from the increased power that we felt, the engine also ran cooler. This meant that we could squeeze more power with lesser stress on the engine. We had a real good fun flatting out on the stretches and attacking the turns with more reliable power.
- Installing the AEM water/methanol injection kit requires a certain level of understanding. The phases require the mounting of the tanks, pump, and controller followed by tuning via the computer. This is a combined expertise on automotive mechanical and electronics. If you lack the skills and knowledge to perform the installation yourself, we dissuade you from doing so. A trip to your trusted tuner shop should be the way to go.
- Remember that you are spraying water and alcohol into your engine block. Despite the claims by AEM, there might be the slightest chance that moisture can get in. That's something you need to watch out. Moisture leads to rust, and rust leads to a damaged engine. We wouldn't want that happening.
Like any other performance modification, the AEM water/methanol injection kit can improve the way your car runs. However, you should always keep in mind that proper research and installation is king when pursuing these endeavors. AEM is a reputable brand, and we have a certain level of confidence that it can deliver up to expectation.