There comes a time when you need to overhaul your engine and replace its componentry. After piecing everything together, it is imperative to effectively seal the gaps between parts in your engine block. If you don't, you risk leaks, contaminations, and damages in your engine. That's a very big hazard when you are already on the road. While some people might stick with gaskets coming from the OEM, others are willing to explore alternatives. This is what the Spanish automotive parts manufacturer AJUSA has to offer American, European, and Asian vehicle owners. Following four decades of producing gaskets, hydraulic lifters, and cylinder head bolt sets, AJUSA is now capable of providing these parts to a wide variety of vehicles. We did an overhaul on the engine of our 1997 Subaru Impreza, and we bought an AJUSA full gasket set as seal replacements. It included the AJUSA valve cover gasket for the Impreza.
- Original equipment quality
- Available as a sole item or in kits
- Set includes spark plug grommets and seals
- Transparent packaging for easier inspection
- Made of composite
- As we disassembled the engine, we tried to clean out the old gaskets so we can compare them with the AJUSA gaskets. They looked fairly similar, as if they came out from the OEM pile. But the AJUSA gaskets were little darker than the OEM. When we finally applied the sealants, it seems that the valve cover is gelled well to the head.
- After the overhaul, we filled the engine with oil and tested it on the stand. We had to make sure that every engine component is sealed very well to avoid nasty issues. The engine ran okay despite the typical troubleshooting required on a newly-overhauled engine.
- When the engine was mounted back to the Impreza, the car ran well, just like any car with a newly overhauled engine should. We continued to monitor possible leaks and cracks that might appear on the engine block. After our test run, there was none noticed.
- The AJUSA valve cover gasket is hard to come by. We've searched for other dealers who might be carrying the brand but our search yielded only very few.
- The AJUSA gaskets are priced a little higher than OEM and brands like Fel Pro. That left us thinking about what sets the AJUSA gasket apart from others.
AJUSA gaskets can be a reliable alternative to OEM gaskets. However, their price gives other brands a little bit of edge in the competition.