American Shifter Company is best known for its line of snazzy custom shifters and shift knobs, but did you know it also makes other stylish aftermarket car parts? That's what American Shifter is trying to tell car owners with its air vents. Meant to replace the AC vents in the car interior, the American Shifter Company air vents have an oval, retro design reminiscent of the classic muscle cars. We managed to get a set of these air vents and put them to the test.
- Replaces the stock AC and heater vents
- Billet aluminum construction
- Available in swing and slotted designs
- Mounting hardware included
- Its material and construction is far superior to the stock air vent. Compared to plastic vents, these billet aluminum vents are stronger and more durable. In addition, aluminum gives the vents a chrome-like appearance, albeit a bit less shiny.
- Provides sufficient air flow to the interior. We did not notice any noticeable change in the performance of the car's AC or heater after replacing the stock air vents with these aftermarket vents.
- Comes with installation instructions. Though it's rather easy to find instructions online on how to fit air vents on the dashboard, including a handy instruction manual really saved us time and effort in getting these vents to fit perfectly in place. What's more, the instructions are clear enough that even a novice would be able to install these vents correctly.
- Relatively low price compared to other aftermarket vents. American Shifter Company's vents go for $50 a pop on its websites, which is quite affordable in comparison to other aftermarket or even OEM air vents available today.
- Limited designs available. The American Shifter Company vents come in just two designs - slotted and swing - so these are a bit restrictive in terms of options. But for those who don't like to get overwhelmed by choices, these may be just fine.
- The vents don't have clips that let you change the direction of the airflow. There's no way for you to minimize the flow of air through the vent as well.
The bottom line:
The American Shifter Company air vent offers more of style than substance. It falls short in terms of function, but it will surely get a second glance from your passengers for its sleek look. It makes for a great add-on to any classic and muscle cars.