The door latch is the one that keeps your car doors closed and locked in place, so when it breaks down, the latch must be replaced immediately. And one manufacturer that offers replacement door latches is American Shifter. Best known for its aftermarket transmission parts and accessories, the American Shifter Company also offers aftermarket door latches. These American Shifter Company door handle latch sets are made available as part of the brand's line of aftermarket billet door handles, although they are also sold independently. In this review, we put these latches from American Shifter to the test.
- Set of 2
- Available in arrow, bullet and slash styles
- Machined chrome finish
- Comes with hardware and instructions included
- Limited 1-year warranty
- Designed in the USA
- Can be installed on a wide selection of vehicles. The latches have a universal-fit design, allowing them to be used on most vehicles on the road today. The kit also comes with essential hardware needed to install the latches for additional convenience.
- Although American Shifter advertises its latches for use in car doors, they can also be used in other places in your car as well. We found out that they are also compatible for use as a latch for the hood, trunk, and for the gas cap lid.
- The latches have a chrome finish with a special anti-fingerprint coating. The finish gives off a classic, minimalist look and complements the design of American Shifter's chromed door handles.
- The latch kit does not come with cables. Although it is really not that hard to find door latch cables in stores nowadays, we find the lack of cables from the American Shifter door latch kit to be a disadvantage especially since there are aftermarket latch kits that do include latch cables.
- The latch set is priced as high as $100, which is far more expensive compared to OEM door latches. Though the quality of the work put in to the latch does somehow make up for the steep price tag, it may be a bit difficult to swallow for those who are shopping for replacement parts on a tight budget.
The American Shifter Company door handle latch can be a stylish replacement to the ones in your car's doors, though it will certainly leave a burning hole in your pocket.