The gear selector lever is an integral part of the automatic transmission found in modern automobiles today as it allows the driver to access and engage the transmission gears of the car. So you can just imagine how dangerous it could be once this component breaks down. Thankfully, replacement gear selector levers are not that hard to find nowadays, and one of the manufacturers that specialize in gear selector levers and other related parts is American Shifter.
Best known for its innovative lineup of shifter knobs and accessories, the American Shifter also offers aftermarket gear selector levers for automatic transmissions for Ford and GM vehicles. In this review, we put the American Shifter Company gear selector through its paces to check whether it is worth the investment.
- Replaces gear selector levers of Ford and GM automatic transmissions
- Adjustable design with linkage
- Supports park and neutral safety lock-out features
- Adjusted for dash and clearance
- Teflon bushings and sleeves
- Anti-rust coating
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Designed in the USA
Things we liked:
- The lever provides a lot of room for adjustment. Whether you have a side-action or a push button shifter, the lever performed at a level that's superior to its OEM counterparts. Its support for a wide variety of transmission features also made it a better contender in terms of adaptability than its competitors.
- The Teflon bushings allowed for smooth, faster movement. In addition, the lever is also coated with a protective finish that helps impede corrosion and wear due to everyday use.
Things we didn't like:
- Can only be used on Ford and GM automatic transmissions. Also, it is only compatible with automatic transmission systems of certain models. It's these limitations that are probably its biggest downside.
- Does not work as well with aftermarket transmission parts from other brands. While it certainly works like a charm with transmission components made by American Shifter, the same cannot be said for aftermarket parts made by other brands. We used this gear selector lever alongside other branded aftermarket parts like those from JEGS and Hughes, and we saw a discernible hit in performance.
The bottom line:
The American Shifter Company gear selector lever makes for a great replacement for the one in your car's automatic transmission, provided that you meet all of its requirements. We strongly recommend that you pair this component with aftermarket parts from American Shifter as well.