The American Shifter Company is arguably best known for its innovative line of shift knobs and other related accessories, but it also offers electronic components for vehicles. One such component is the neutral safety switch. Also known as a backup switch, the American Shifter Company neutral safety switch is designed as a safety switch for automatic transmission kits, although it can also be used in the same manner for other automotive applications. We managed to procure several units of these neutral safety switches from American Shifter and put them under a round of tests to determine whether they are a worthy investment.
- Ultra small roller ball switch design with two terminals
- Sold independently or as a kit with mounting brackets
- Silver zinc coating protects against wear
- The neutral safety switch comes with a protective coating of silver zinc, which is absent in aftermarket switches from other brands. The zinc is said to delay the onset of corrosion and overall wear, greatly improving its service life.
- The switch performed as expected. The switch performed precisely and without major hiccups, which we found to be a big plus considering that this is an aftermarket part.
- Can be used for other applications as well. Aside from the automatic transmission, the universal design of the neutral safety switch also makes it ideal as a backup switch for other components in your vehicle, such as the backup light for example.
- Comes at a great price. The neutral safety switch is being sold for $17-$20 at the American Shifter website, which is a great deal compared to other aftermarket neutral safety switches, which usually go around for $25. You will have to shell out a bit more for the kit that also includes the mounting hardware, however.
- Does not come with the shims. Even when packaged as a kit, the neutral safety switches do not come with shims. Though it isn't that hard to find a replacement shim online for this type of switch, it would have been a great plus if it came included with the switch.
The bottom line:
The American Shifter Company neutral safety switch provides adequate performance at a price that's lower than its peers, but even with a higher price tag, its quality of workmanship and durability will certainly make up for it.