A snapped parking brake cable is arguably one of the most dangerous things to occur in your car. Connecting the parking brake lever with the brake mechanism, a parking brake cable must be in good condition at all times because once it breaks, it practically renders the parking brake inoperable and must be replaced as soon as possible to avoid dangerous situations on the road.
One company that offers replacement parking brake cables is the American Shifter Company. Known primarily for its aftermarket shifter knobs and other transmission components, American Shifter Company also offers replacement emergency hand brake cables. These cables are made from stainless steel and designed for hand brake systems of various vehicles in mind. In this review, we put the American Shifter Company parking brake cable through a battery of tests.
- Cable and housing length: 8"
- 2 cables per kit
- Teflon lined housing with coil protection that reduces wear
- Stainless steel cables
- Built-in return spring
- Includes dual bracket adapter, adjustable main clevis and other hardware, and instruction manual
- Designed in the USA
- The cables are quite long, giving us enough length to route lines as needed. You certainly won't have to worry about running out of cables with these.
- Set comes with everything you need to install the cables onto your vehicles. All you have to do is to slide in the cable, secure all the fasteners, and adjust the parking brake pedal accordingly. And if you are not familiar with the process, the cables come with an installation manual that's fairly easy to understand.
- The stainless steel cables and housing are quite tough. We especially had a hard time cutting the cables to size. Plus, thanks to the inherent rust-resistant properties of stainless steel, the cables are also well protected against corrosion.
- The hand brake cables are expensive, especially compared to OEM replacement cables. The high quality of materials and craftsmanship do come at a price. American Shifter's cables cost $100-$120 online, which is a far cry to the $10-$15 price tag of standard OEM cables.
If you are looking for a high-end parking brake cable for your car, the American Shifter Company parking brake cable is your best bet. Notwithstanding the price, these cables from American Shifter are professionally crafted and made from the finest materials. These might even be the only parking brake cable you'll ever buy for your car, which could surely justify for the price.