Whether you're going on an uphill battle with your car or simply parking on a flat pavement, you should never ignore your parking brake. This won't only keep your car from rolling away but will also serve to protect the CV joints, transaxle, and transmission. All you need is to pull the hand-operated lever to keep your ride in place. If the lever is already loose or seems amiss in any way, don't take your chances. Get your car a new lever. To find the best in the market, we picked the American Shifter Company parking brake lever for this review.
- Designed as a chrome steel handle
- Features a 4-point mounting system for universal product fit
- Includes noise-reducing bushings
- Does not include cables and the parking brake lever boot
What we like about this lever
- We were able to pick the right length for the handle. The brand allows this option for its parking brake lever since it comes in good variety. Aside from the length of the handle, we were also able to choose between transmission and floor mount styles. We picked the transmission mount style for our cruiser.
- We didn't have a difficult time installing the universal parking brake lever. There's no adjustment needed. Everything lined up well. We just had to use the right bunch of tools and trace where everything goes. The bushings fit well with the rest. The 4-point mounting system made things easy.
- We don't expect the brake lever to get corroded easily. It has a good finish. The chrome steel handle doesn't only look good but also seems built to last. It's a solid piece from what we can see.
- The lever works well. Right after installation, we embarked on a series of test drives to see if the new lever will restore the parking brake function. We used the parking brake as our car drove uphill. It's able to keep the car in place even on a steep ground.
- The lever has a nice feel to it. It didn't get stuck. It works just like the original, although during the initial drives, it was a bit stiff.
What we're not so happy about
- The parking brake lever boot isn't included. This is sold separately.
What we have to say
This is one solid piece of OE replacement. It's reliable, and it mounts easily. And for that, we give it a thumbs-up. Although you may find a cheaper alternative than this, it offers good quality that's worth the money.